Friday, May 25, 2007

On a sidenote, am I the only one irritated by the Straits Times' coverage of the University of New South Wales (UNSW) withdrawal from Singapore?



This has been labelled a blow to Singapore's searing 'vision' of becoming a 'world class educational hub'. Nevertheless, Singapore will 'press on' and continue to keep up its actually 'good trackrecord' of attracting foreign universities.



I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to be topnotch and 'world class' in everything - though I might (surely not unreasonably) question why and whether it justifies certain policies/sacrificies. However, it does irritate me that EDB's taking up at least 2 whole pages of my Thursday newspaper to act martyred and brave and reassuring the nation (as if we somehow need to be assured so assiduously) that yes, it will not be deterred. It will beat its chest courageously and rise above rejection and personal trauma. It will wipe away its tears and go get a make over. It will smile confidently and be a fighting spirit. It will continue to 'strive' toward its goal of being an educational 'hub' along with all the other n-hubs it aspires to make Singapore into. Huzzah!!



I don't really care about EDB honestly. I really wonder if the readership does because I don't see how its possible to feel for a faceless bureaucratic organ and its quashed dreams about becoming an "educational hub" - a term so excessively-bandied around its practically promiscuous. Not that I am anti-progress or unpatriotic or just another whiny blogger (hm debatable though), but its utterly annoying to read self-indulgent government platitudes when I just really feel for the students and the teachers of UNSW who've had such a bombshell tossed abruptly into their laps. I honestly cannot imagine the feelings of abandonment and anxiety some of them must surely be feeling. My imagination is, however, not stirred by pedantic chronological accounts of EDB's efficient and successful efforts to woo UNSW.



It's no wonder the Straits Times is suffering from falling circulation. They lack articles of human interest.



(That and some writers with really dubious fashion sense. But I will suspend my judgments on Urban and Life fashion spreads for another time.)

|