Thursday, July 06, 2006

To Spa or Not to Spa?

I have yet another pair of shoes to add to my collection, which is growing at an approximate rate of 2 pairs per month. I find justification in the old adage ‘One can never have too many shoes’ (and bags) which was probably coined by some other Shoe slut, though the words in parenthesis are my own modification. Nevertheless, I will have you know that I am not driven by impulse when shopping. Rather I am guided by logical principles (unless misled by the strategic placement of discount signs, ahemHUERAFFLESCITYahem). But yes, sound, logical principles I assure you! For example, this latest pair of shoes had cream poof-balls. Who can resist adorable poof-balls? Ergo, cream poof-balled shoes are to be purchased.

Anyway, I divulged my spa ambitions (see previous post) to my best friends who unfortunately had their own brand of sound logic to impart.

Gwen: No. Whatever you do don’t book the spa package! It’s expensive! And since when do guys go for spas anyway. That’s so sissy. Why would your boyfriend want to do something so sissy-fied? Spas are such a girly idea! You should bring him for a romantic, candle-light picnic under the stars at the Botanical Gardens.

Pea: *exhibiting typical Pea-kian logic* Hey Jeanne! You should go to Chek Jawa! You can still have your Spa treatment there!

Me: *momentarily speechless* Chek Jawa? Pea, all I know about it is that it’s some island and my geography teacher who went there to do research mentioned it has nice granitic landforms on the coast. I’m not sure, but that doesn’t sound like the sort of place with proper Spa amenities –

Pea: *earnestly* No no no! It has very nice hot springs! How’s that for an alternative (cheap) spa! Although I think a lot of people have been there already so the springs may be polluted…Haha, isn’t that funny? Oh but I bet Chek Jawa also has mud pools. Don’t they have mud treatments in Spas? But this’ll be free! Doesn’t that sound fun? Hey go to Chek Jawa!

So I tried to solicit a more, you know, macho point of view. What would a guy want for his 21st birthday?

Jinx: Urrrhhh. Clothes?

Aaron: *non-committal* A spa? Oh I see…. Huh? A Spa? Where? …Oh I see.

Jinx: He doesn’t care for clothes?...Oh alright how about a Playstation? …He has one already? Ok then an Xbox? No? Ok then how about a Playstation console?

Ian: Does he play DOTA? You could get him a computer game. What are his specs like? …You don’t know what I’m talking about do you?

Aaron: Hey wait…a Spa? …Isn’t there an age limit? ...Oh I see.

SW: ...Well.... Every guy needs a good pair of CK Undies.

Joel: Oh. How about vouchers? Like. Um. Spa Vouchers.

Ian: A DVD.

Aaron: A spa. Hm. That’s nice.

Thomas: Hey! I think going to Sentosa is a good idea!

Jinx: Oh I know, how about a car?

Joel: Driving!!! I wanna drive!!!!

Ian: Get him a car. Or give him car keys. Then he’ll think you got him a car.

Guangzhao: I’d like a car! Can I have a car? But I’d like a car!

Alright so an ideal guy gift from a guy point of view means at least $500 000. Do I even exist in the same orbit as a hundred thousand dollars? I don’t think so. It seems light years away.

But at least I had one faithful supporter in Sarah!

Sarah: Jeanne just splurge! A spa sounds so relaxing and nicceeee….*dreamy*

Yes doesn’t it? So after days of hemming and hawing, I emailed the Spa just to enquire if they had a vacancy on this particular day. I was only enquiring! I could still easily revert back to, say, the Chek Jawa hot springs option. Just exercising my rights as a potential consumer to weigh up the pros and cons of a Mediterranean massage. See how rationally I proceed? And then the next day the Spa replied saying Yes there was indeed a vacancy and would I like to confirm an appointment at 2pm? And I hemmed and I hawed thinking about things like, opportunity costs and my tight budget and the possibility of eating plain bread for the rest of the week etc and then I scrolled down the page and I realized Mr Jim Tan, that clever Spa executive, had attached a very attractive coloured photo of the couples suite and outdoor Jacuzzi for my salivating pleasure!

I remember Isabel recounting one of her shoe shopping exploits long ago: “I was so unsure whether or not to buy the shoes…until the salesperson said those Magic Words - “Last pair left”…AND THAT. WAS. IT.”

Indeed. Those artfully placed photos and THAT WAS IT. Yes Mr Jim Tan 2pm sounds perfect. Might I just know the accepted mode of payment?

So I guess you’ll probably see me subsisting on $2 chicken rice for the whole of next week as I attempt to recoup my losses.

Such is the outcome of my grand logic.

|