Sunday, April 30, 2006

JEANNE'S BOOK CLUB


In another desparate attempt to convince myself that I'm doing something productive and fulfilling this holidays, I'm glad that I've finished reading what are considered to be the three most enduring works of Dystopian literature...in addition to just generally trying to be more literary. (I've always wanted to call myself that one day. Doesn't it have a certain ring to it? :P)

Oh yea, the concept of Dystopia is the exact opposite of the Greek word/idea of Utopia (which quite aptly means "Nowhere", "No-Place"). Dystopian lit usually features a nightmarish, totalitarian society, or at least one with a fatal flaw, as the main antagonist in the story. The protaganist(s) tend to be individuals who are implicitly aware that something is wrong with their world, and thus they remain in conflict with it for most of the book.

Yea, so these 3 books are like a Must Read if you're planning on exploring the genre. In fact, they're so often compared and talked about together that some people call them the -

The Big Three (in no order of merit)

Nineteen Eighty Four, George Orwell
I read this sometime last year. It's probably the most terrifying and bleak of the three, which is also probably why its the most famous. Like the other 2 books, it's set in a futuristic state, but unlike them, Orwell's world is characterized by abject poverty, decay and dilapidation. I think it's fascinating that terms such as 'Orwellian', 'Big Brother' and 'thought police' have wormed their way into popular culture and mass consciousness. Powerful indeed.

Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
I first came across this in sec 3 as part of the English department's reading program. I got it in an exchange with Pea for To Kill a Mockingbird. Anyway I hated it the first time I read it, mainly because the first couple of chapters had very disturbing themes of child sexuality and also because I didn't have the patience to plough through the whole book. I gave it another try a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Strange huh? I guess when reading Dystopian novels, we shouldn't read it so much for the characterization and plot, but for the world that it presents and especially for its ideas. Characters are often used primarily as mouthpieces for the writer's main message anyway. I liked Brave New World because it was interesting that the society it presented could be described as either a perfect 'utopia' or a dystopia depending on how you looked at it. The replacement of God/religion in the novel by Ford/Fordism (a reference to the industrialist, Henry Ford, whose principles of mass production, standardization and consumerism are impt themes in the novel) was also ingenious and highly symbolic. Plus it was quite hilarious whenever the characters went around going 'Oh my Ford!'.

We, Yevgenvy Zamyatin.
Translated from Russian into English. Sometimes known by its Russian title, My. And Zamyatin's name is also often translated to 'Eugene Zamyatin'. Anyway I just finished this and it's really good. You have to read it. If you can find it, that is. The National Library didn't have any copies (but then I couldn't even find any Orwell books there...) and I might have taken the last shelf copy from Kino. But in any case if you do find it, get it! Sadly, its quite often overlooked and Zamyatin is fairly under-represented compared to Huxley and Orwell. But We is nonetheless considered a classic because it is The Grandfather of modern dystopian literature. It was also the inspiration behind the two most well-known dystopian texts (namely, the two above) and in fact there are lots of similarities between We and 1984 in particular; Zamyatin's Benefactor prefigures Orwell's Big Brother; the Guardians are a precursor of the Thought Police; a doomed love affair, illicit rendevouz at an ancient 'apartment', a failed insurrection and the tragic ending all appear slightly modified in Orwell's own novel. We also has beautiful images that are quite poignant. I especially like that it's told from the point of view of a Mathematician who's profession and personality (initially) mirror the sterile, precise and orderly fashion of his society. Very fascinating.

You must read We if you ever find it and if you have time. It's great and I think it's a pity that Zamyatin hasn't gotten the same acclaim and recognition that Huxley and Orwell have. But I suppose if you have only time for one (meaning if you're not as idle as I am) then go for 1984. Orwell's story is probably by far, the most haunting.

|