Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I was walking down Orchard Road a few days ago after work when I was accosted by Steven Lim who was promoting his eyebrow grooming services. ($10) I have to say that standing alone in the middle of Orchard promoting your own business takes some guts - although I suppose that pales in comparison to prancing around Singapore Idol in yellow briefs on national television.

Anyway I was suddenly waylaid by him and was instantly hit by a literally tsunami of non-stop, endless chatter - "Hii'mstevenlimyouremembermefromsingaporeidol?here'sanewspapercuttingaboutmyservices.Myeyebrowshaping$10only!Veryveryveryverycheaphor?verygoodpricehor?andionlychargeyouafteridoyourbrowswhy?causeiwanttobeyourfriendsoyoualsobemyfriendhorokokokok?". He didn't even come up for air! Wow. He speaks exactly like those hyperactive Japanese anime characters; I couldn't get in an 'urh' or an 'ahh' or 'I have no money' in at all! It was just mildy terrifying. But anyway after extricating myself from his overenthusiastic clutches, he made me promise to tell others about his personal website/blog so if you have time go visit http://www.stevenlim.net and read about his latest exploits.

And now its time fo my public warning service.

If you chance upon Bodyshop outlets you'll find that Body Scrubs are all off at 55%. And they've probably lined up those little cute tubs of strawberry, mango, coconut, shea, brazil nut, passionfruit scrubs right at the entrance of the stall with a great pink sign that goes "55% OFF!" or something like that. And there're adorable little tester tubs which you can twist open to inhale the nice fruity/nice nutty scent of the scrubs with their caramel and very altruistic sounding "Community traded sugar from Paraguay".

DON'T FALL FOR IT.

(Unless of course you've already bought one and it works for you.)

The so called exfoliating crystals *dissolve* under 10 seconds to leave behind some disgusting greasy solution which sticks to your skin like clingwrap. I think the grease is supposed to be "moisturizing" element of the product but frankly I think there's some weird logic behind that train of thought: being able to milk an entire KFC franchise for a week does not equal nice, hydrated skin! If I *wanted* to render my services to KFC I would've, you know, bought body butter or something because in my very personal opinion, I think that thing is just a glorified name for 'Grease in a Tub with some community traded whatever'. But then at least I'd *know* what I was getting myself into. But you simply can't mix what seems to be discarded batches of body butter with Brazilian sugar/salt crystals and then conveniently call it a scrub.

I want my $10.90 back!

|