Tuesday, June 26, 2007

YOU WANT FREE ICE CREAM??
(even though it rubs against your conscience)

Quote of the day:

*at Island Cremery*

Jeanne: 2 Pulut Hitam and 1 Soursop icecream...and ...a baked Alaska please!

Staff: Ok...will that be all? $11.50 please.

Jeanne: *hands over card*

Staff: Oh I'm sorry, we only accept cash!

Jeanne: Oh...I don't have cash on hand.

Staff: *shrugs* Oh that's alright. You can pay tomorrow.

Jeanne: *thinks I've heard wrongly* ...What?

Staff: You can pay tomorrow.

Jeanne: *flabbergasted* Pay tomorrow?? Erh...and how would that work out?

Staff: *completely nonchalant* You can come back tomorrow and pay.



I don't know about you but my jaw completely dropped when I heard this whole 'buy-now-pay-tomorrow' business. And that's saying something. My dad often bemoans my sad lack of sense when it comes to matters of money and business ('you have no killer instinct Jeanne!') and I am frequently pulverized at Monopoly by my brother's shark-ish tendencies...but at least I know that one basic rule of profit making is that you get some guarantee of payment!

This can mean 2 things: Island Cremery either places too much good faith in the integrity of their customers or....they place too much good faith in the integrity of their customers.

Junwen suggests that it might be a way to secure customer loyalty. I'm not sure. I don't feel particularly grateful toward Island Cremery's innovative payment scheme, but I do feel amazed enough to blog about it.

But anyway icecream was good! The staff were friendly! So I'm not complaining. :) And if you do decide to pay tomorrow and not show up you are CHEAP. *Evil laugh*

|