Thursday, July 31, 2003

Pea I think my Bio practical book is under your desk. Please come tomorrow and unlock your desk? I have to draw the longitudinal/transverse section of a tomato, a banana, an orange and a cucumber by tomorrow or GAL with explode again. I'll let you copy ;)

Did drawing for Bio pract session today. So just sat around cutting up fruits and trying not to eat them. Was very tempted by the banana. But then GAL put us off when she told us the knives we were using to cut the fruits had been used before to cut up sheeps' brains and eyeballs. *eeee*

I should stop eating my specimens. Pea and I were supposed to share a peanut fruit last pract session and draw it. But then we ate the peanut before we measured it to do our magnification scale. So now I'm guessing it was about...ah...5cm thereabout. *looks at ruler*

Yueyou couldn't resist squeezing the tomatoes today. So the seeds started popping out along with all the pulp. Then we started tossing the orange around. And since I have no coordination whatsoever, it flew onto the floor and started rolling around.

Someone tried to cut thinner slices of tomato using that Yan-can-cook horizontal cutting technique so we could see the vascular bundles more clearly....but I think we just succeeded in multilating the poor fruit and getting juice all over the place. And we never did see the vascular bundles :|
So copied GAL's drawing which she flashed on the OHP.
For someone who claims to have failed art since primary school, her drawings always seem to look so nice and proportionate.

Cucumbers were slightly better - neater. And we could see the vascular bundles! :D

We stained the bananas with Iodine which was interesting because everything went dark blue except the placentas [or was it the septum? argh]
And I still don't know what happens when you consume too much Iodine.

Tutor: Hah...you want to take A level Bio? So tell me..what happens when you take too much Iodine?
Me:...you can eat Iodine?
Tutor: *makes some weird noise in his throat* Yar so what happens?
Me: Hm....you get very purple.
Tutor: *flabbergasted. Makes weird noise in his throat* You're even worse than me! ....And I haven't studied for...9 months already! Oh no! NS is ruining my life! 9 whole months without touching my books! *starts to freak*

Did the orange last. We were supposed to cut it up and draw the cross section, but we copied the diagram on the OHP because Gwen refused to let us touch it. She smuggled the orange out later after class to eat. [Apparently it was extremely sweet] I put the peels in a cup and left it under the airconditioner by the windowsill. Hopefully our class will smell of nice, orange peels now instead of sweat and feet.

Went to tan today during recess with Ann and Gwen. Sat there for 15 minutes with our arms outstretched whilst half the class lounged in the shady area underneath the staircase. Its become our class "bathtub" now.

I swear we've become darker!

Tamara: Stop fooling yourself! Your skin's the same! Its an illusion!

Hm. Shall go back to sun somemore.

|