Saturday, December 13, 2003

Was bored this afternoon and began reading my brother's book about life in Victorian England. Came across this verse from a popular love song of that time. Its seriously morbid! The Victorians must've been a v. sad bunch of people.

That is Love
See the father standing at his cottage door,
Watching the baby in the gutter rolling o'er,
Laughing at his merry pranks, but hark! A roar!
Help! Oh, help him! Gracious Heav'n above!
Dashing down the road there comes a maddened horse!
Out the father rushes with resistless force.
Saves the child...but he lies there, a mangled corpse.
That is love, that is love!


Cheerful huh.

(I conquered Bevelle! Without cheating!)

This house needs more junk food and cushions.

Was thinking of having a BBQ on tuesday but I can't light a proper fire let alone BBQ the food. Ian, back from ECP with loads of experience, suggests doing what he and his classmates did - put about 20 firestarters in the pit, light a match and get out your aerosol spray [Aim. Fire.] Only he says the fire lasted for about 2 minutes before fizzling out. Hmm. My mum suggests inviting a couple of girl scouts to help out with the fire problem. She actually took me seriously and went out to book the pit on Thursday night (paid the deposit and everything) and is threatening to hold her own "party" if I can't get enough people to BBQ with me. This would obviously mean that The Leong would be there and that's motivation enough to start calling up friends.

Ian's also managed to salvage our big Pikachu soft toy from the storeroom and he's been carrying it all around the house ever since. Like, he places it on the dining table while we're eating so it stares at me with its huge glassy eyes. And Ian's started talking to it in hushed tones whenever I'm in the room as if I'm on the verge of death or something. I suppose its his new way of irritating people.

-while watching Survivor-
Ian: whisper whisper whisper whisper whisper whisper...
Me: Can you shut up?
Ian: *leans down toward Pikachu and starts nodding wisely* Pikachu thinks you're being very mean.
Me: *stares*
Ian: Oh...Pikachu? What's that? What's that? *leans down as Pikachu 'speaks' to him* Pikachu also thinks that you are abusive and vulgar.
Me: Are you mad? You're talking to a toy!
Ian: *listens to Pikachu* Pikachu would like to express his view that you are extremely shallow and stupid.
Me: Hmpf. *goes back to watching TV. Pikachu suddenly looms in front of me*
Ian: Pikachu's observing you in your natural habitat.

So I punched Pikachu which did not go down well with Ian who claimed I was "inflaming" Pikachu and it would use its thunderbolt attack or some rubbish. Then as I left, he threw Pikachu (who is very big and heavy) down the hallway hitting me square in the back.

That's actually someone I'm related to. (Ian. Not the pokemon)

I just made a couple of calls. Sherry is away in Bali. Anjali, in Malaysia. Stephanie thinks she might not be able to make it because the BBQ's on the same day as her dad's birthday. The prospect of having a gathering of woman nearing midlife crisis looms. Starting to dread Tuesday.

|