Saturday, September 27, 2003

Went down town today with Gwen and Anjali again (my mum's suddenly complaining that I 'gallavant' too much. I think its because she checked my account and realized I'm nearly broke). Trying to walk down Orchard road with those 2 is tedious. No matter how hard I try they always seem to be 2 feet ahead of me. Just trying to keep up is good exercise; I sweated! And the hairdresser later asked if I'd just come from sports.

Spent most of the afternoon in the KFC waiting for Pea, who was having her hair styled somewhere in Simei.
Saw Lucas and later Judith. Waved at Lucas as we entered but he didn't see...so had a little experiment to find out how long he would take to notice we were behind him in the queue.

Anjali, Gwen & I: *behind Lucas* Ahem...
Lucas: ^_^;;
Gwen: *Lalalala. Grin grin*
Me: *after painfully long time* AHEM!
Lucas: ^_^;;
Me: Ah...Lucas?
Lucas: ^_^;;
Me: Lucas??
Lucas: *turns slightly* ^_^;;
Me: *louder still* Lucas???
Lucas: *turns around and JUMPS* AH!!! Anjali!! Jeanne!!!
Us: *jump back together* Lucas!!!

Then Judith came to do Amaths with Lucas...think they kinda regretted choosing a table right next to ours. Gwen and I just had an argument over potassium ions so started bombarding them with questions about KFC's mashed potatoes and their effect on cells. (Still have no answer)

Me: *holds up 2 cups of Mashed potatoes* These contain potassium, so when you eat them, ions go into your blood. So does the increase in ion concentration cause your cells to go flaccid or turgid?
Gwen: TURGID!
Lucas: ...Exams are OVER man!!
Me: Prelims are over but life goes on.
Gwen: And life is full of exams so exams are not over (eh...turgid right??)
Lucas: *shakes head sadly*
Gwen: Turgid lorh! Cause the body brings about negative feedback! So ADH is secreted which reabsorbs water...
Me: The thing which brings about the negative fdback is a decreasing water potential so cells shrink and become.....
Anjali: *shrinking away herself* I don't know these people man!

Stayed in KFC for about 2 hours waiting for Pea :| Just sat around crapping with the excuse of wanting to allow our food to digest. Managed to get a balloon from the KFC staff so we could draw a pea on it (one circle...two vertical strokes for eyes and two legs!) and give it to Sylvia.

Lucas: *spying the balloon* What tricks are you up to now Jeanne??

He still doesn't trust me!

Pea still didn't show so we left KFC with the balloon which Anjali felt so embarrassed carrying. We eventually gave it to some kid in the street which just goes to show kids will accept anything from strangers but free Cheezels Pizza-flavoured samples [a lady was giving them out at Lido] which we also tried unsuccessfully to give away. Headed for Borders which I suppose is a much better place to while your time away. Its got books with huge pricetags stuck on the covers, so you can read but you don't go bankrupt because you can't afford the books there seeing how you've squandered away half your allowance over the week.

Gwen and I wanted to continue reading 'Sex versus Saris' which we found last time in the Lit section. Hunted high and low for it. All the other books we'd been reading last time were still there but I guess 'Saris' went out of stock.

Gwen: *sniffs* ...Shows what kind of literature people are interested in...(but it was quite entertaining I admit...)

Gwen started to read something called 'Shadow Child' and I settled down with 'God Don't Like Ugly'. It was pretty good. About some girl who has inferiority complex because someone keeps abusing her. Then she makes friends with a girl at school and starts to develop lesbian feelings...the blurb said stuff about how her friend reveals an "explosive secret" which changes their friendship but I never got to that part. We got banished from the Lit section after one of the Borders staff told Gwen and Anjali to go sit in the Children's area if they really wanted to lie on the floor and read. So went ahead with them to the Kiddie section where Anjali tripped over two toddlers.

Anjali: Why are they so short?! Why can't they be at eye level? Why can't they wear high heels??

Damn. My 'Idols' essay has crossed the 700-word mark. By a lot. I don't know how I can shrink it by Monday. Still quite peeved that Rupa forced me to join.

Rupa: *goes into office to get entry forms for Sarah and Anjali. Comes out and sees me* Ok Jeanne, the latest is that you're in this competition too. *throws an entry form at me* Send it in by next week! *smiles and exits before I can say anything*

Grr. Off to edit.

|